Monday, December 14, 2009

Sebeka Cabernet Pinotage 2007 Western Cape, South Africa

We were given this bottle at a Christmas party last Saturday night, which would have made attending worthwhile even if the party hadn't been any fun. Wine from South Africa had really never even crossed my mind before. Likewise, "Cabernet Pinotage" was a new one on me. Apparently this is a blend of 59% Cabernet Sauvignon and 41% Pinotage--but even that last bit threw me. So in case Pinotage is new to you, too, here's what I found out on wikipedia.org: Pinotage is a red wine grape that is South Africa's signature variety. The Pinotage grape is a "viticultural cross" (not a hybrid! don't ask me what the difference is) between Pinot noir and Cinsaut (which, in South Africa, is known by the name Hermitage). "It typically produces deep red varietal wines with smoky, bramble, and earthy flavors, sometimes with notes of bananas and tropical fruit, but has been criticized for sometimes smelling of acetone," which doesn't sound great to me, mainly because of that last part.

In the glass, the wine is inky dark and opaque, a slightly brownish red. It smells a lot like one of my favorite dark chocolates, which happens to be the Choxie Espresso truffle bar, but with a fruity tone also. (Speaking of my Choxie bars, it seems I need to find a new hiding place for them, because just yesterday my three-year-old found my last two squares and polished them off. But back to the wine.) The taste is smooth and rich with a distinct coffee flavor and a tangy finish. I like it! Maybe the added Cab enhances the good stuff and drowns out the acetone. It's definitely worth noting that I let this glass breathe for more than two hours before drinking it, not purposefully but because I got distracted by wrapping Christmas presents.

You also need to notice the super-cool, cheetah-spotted cork. That was a fun surprise.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the wine.

    In viticulture, a hybrid is a cross between grape vines of different species, usually a vitis vinifera (the wine making species) with a native American species. A cross is between two vines from the same species. Most, if not all, vitis vinifera varieties are crosses. eg the other grape in your wine, Cabernet Sauvignon is the result of a crossing of Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc.

    Regarding acetone; its a winemaking problem whose cause was found some years ago and shouldn't be encountered now. If you didn't taste it in the wine it is because it wasn't in the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your clarification, Mr. May! If I understood your comment correctly, I suppose that Pinot Noir and Hermitage grapes must be of the same species.

    I don't know if you'll ever see my reply to your comment, but if you do come back, I would love to hear your recommendations for some of your favorite Pinotages.

    ReplyDelete