Monday, September 6, 2010

Kendall-Jackson Meritage 2006 California

I'm high class now. I got me a foil cutter. I love it! It's so much more convenient (and neat! and efficient!) than pulling the cork out through the foil and then peeling off the loose pieces. Now all I need is one of those drip-catcher ring thingies, because no matter how I pour it I can't help but end up with a dribble of wine down the bottle's neck, and then I can't help but lick that drip off the bottle, and this is a habit I need to break before I catch myself doing it in public. Because, foil cutter or not, licking the bottle is not high class.

Anyway. I've been wanting to try a Meritage (rhymes with heritage) ever since the last time my friend Amy came to visit and told me about it. (By the way, Amy, it's time for another visit. It's been too long!) The label calls this a "Bordeaux-style blend [66% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 1% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot] from several cooler regions with elevated vineyards delivering distinct flavors [and a] sumptuous texture. Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, pomegranate and black cherry intertwine [ha, I almost typed "interwine" and wondered what the heck kind of word that was] giving you a multi-layered full mouthfeel." 

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. How in the world did they come up with that combination of flavors? Well, I love the smell of coffee, and dark chocolate could quite possibly be the best thing ever invented (even better than that sliced bread everyone keeps talking about). Throw in a few fruits and you've got yourself a party. 

As I was giving the bottle a bit of time to breathe, my ever-helpful husband came poking around and gave his own keen analysis of Meritage: *sniff sniff* "Your wine smells like puke." *sip sip* "Tastes like puke too." Sounds like he needs to stick with his Jack Daniel's. 

The wine is a beautiful, deep, dark purplish red, nearly opaque. I really can smell rich chocolatey goodness. Unfortunately, I didn't especially like my first sip. I mean, it definitely didn't taste like puke, but it surprised me with its somewhat bitter flavor. Remember how I said I like the smell of coffee? Well, curiously enough, I don't like the flavor of coffee. Maybe that is my problem with this wine. 

Perhaps I was more prepared for the wine's flavor during subsequent sips, because it grew on me a bit, though it never became an absolute favorite. It does have a nice, warm, spicy finish. I like spicy. My verdict: I probably won't buy this wine again, but I won't mind finishing off the bottle. 

5 comments:

  1. Just last night a friend of mine ( who works at a mega mart for alcohol...Bevmo ) said that 2006 wasn't a good year for reds. Something about the weather that year. She said 2005 if you can still find it or 2007 was much better and that 2009 was going to be one of the best years in a long time. That might be the problem with your bottle. That and who wants wine that tastes like something you drink with your oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! THANK YOU!!! I LOVE learning little tidbits like that!! They're so very helpful to know. If you get a chance, ask your friend if this was limited to reds in the US (or maybe even just CA), or was it worldwide?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry it took me so long to get back to you.. that "off" terroir for 2006 was reds for California only, That's primarily what we drink. It's so inexpensive since we live in CA. 2008 was a good year for whites, 2009 was not... and on that one, I have lived it. I have had some FUNKY whites from 2009 when the same vineyard, same varietal where fanTASTic for 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, note to self:

    Avoid CA reds from 2006 and CA whites from 2009
    Look for CA reds from 2009 and CA whites from 2008.

    I'm jealous of your friend's Bevmo job! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehe..she'd give it to you if she could.. she's very good, very smart and they run her ragged

    ReplyDelete