Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Layer Cake Primitivo a.k.a. Zinfandel 2007 IGT Puglia, Italy

I got the Layer Cake. I bit the bullet and sprung for the $17+ bottle of wine. This may be my most expensive one yet!

I was headed for the Layer Cake Shiraz, but the Party Factory was out of that, so I ended up with the Primitivo instead. That's just fine with me, because I like to try new things. And apparently Primitivo is not just one new thing for me, but two: the Primitivo variety of grape is genetically equivalent to the Zinfandel variety, and although I've certainly had white Zin before, this is my first red.

I love the way Layer Cake's web site describes this wine (except for maybe that bit about tar):
"A balance of elegance and power; inky black fruit, spice and white pepper, jammy black cherries, plums, blackberry fruit, truffles, tar, and espresso. Warm and rich in the mouth with a creamy texture; the ripe fruit is well supported by the deep structure of the wine."
Even better is the description on the bottle label:
"Wine, if properly made, is like a great layer cake: fruit, mocha and chocolate, hints of spice and rich, always rich. 'Never pass up a layer cake.'"

Words to live by!

But mostly what I got from it was an acidic and green but smoky flavor. Good stuff! But I'm not sure it's worth twice as much as some other decent wines I've tried.

2 comments:

  1. I have been very lucky to have married a man who is a wine collector so I have tasted a lot of very good ones. According to him, Red zinfandels are the only one where the dictum 'you get what you pay for' works. Otherwise, wines are very subjective.

    My favorite red zinfandel is made by Rombauer. It is about 27-30$ and it is from a small winery in Napa Valley. I have never met anyone who didn't like it. Hope you get a chance to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, this is awesome. That's the sort of informational tidbit that I never would have figured out on my own. Can you teach me more? :) You're so lucky to have a wine collector as a husband. My husband, while supportive of my wine "habit," prefers beer or liquor and I probably won't be learning anything about wine from him.

    I am putting the Rombauer on my list!

    ReplyDelete