Monday, February 8, 2010

Bridgeview Blue Moon Riesling 2007 Oregon

Why do I keep buying white wines? Granted, I don't buy them near as often as I buy reds, but I haven't quit yet, even though I never like them. I guess I just keep hoping I'll come across one that I enjoy. Or, should I say, one that I enjoy as much as I enjoy a red.

Part of my problem on my most recent trip to the Party Factory was that I had about 5 minutes in which to make my selections. I didn't want to be late to work on account of spending too long in buying wine. I was actually looking for a bottle of "Layer Cake," which I'd seen on a menu at a restaurant. It sounded so good to me, being a huge fan of chocolate cake (so much so that I am on an unofficial mission to try the chocolate cake at every restaurant in town to try to figure out whose is the best, which is the sort of mission where the journey is more important than the destination). I don't even remember what type of wine it was, except that it was a red. Well, after spending too many of my five precious minutes looking for Layer Cake wine, I found a bottle of their Shiraz, but I lost my nerve when I saw that it cost $17+. I'm more of a $12 to $15 bottle kind of girl. Not that the few extra dollars would break me; instead, this is based on the psychology of a cheapskate. If I know I can find something I like for cheaper than $17, it's hard to spend a little extra on something untried. So I bought a cheaper Shiraz that was right next to the Layer Cake (you'll be hearing about that one soon enough). I like to buy at least two bottles to make the drive to Arkansas worth my while, and the pretty blue bottle of this Riesling caught my eye.

I first tried this wine on Saturday night, and really didn't care for it, but I couldn't blog about it then because the Internet was broken. (At least at our house, not sure about the rest of the world). I must also mention that, as completely inappropriate as I'm sure this is, for half the day on Sunday I had a case of the stinkiest farts I can ever remember. I won't know until tomorrow if this was because of the wine or if it was some other unknown, never-to-be-discovered factor. I hope for the sake of the friends I'll be meeting with in the morning that it was the latter.

I am actually appreciating the wine more tonight on its second trial. Who knows if it is just because it is sufficiently chilled tonight (perhaps it didn't chill long enough before I tried it on Saturday), or if a few days in contact with oxygen has actually been good for this wine, or if it is related to what I have or haven't eaten tonight compared to the other night. Whatever the reason, without having to use my imagination too much I can taste the apple and honey-spice notes that the bottle label mentions, and it's not too bad. It isn't overly sweet, which is nice. But when I imagine a good robust red in comparison, I know this is just not my kind of wine. Suffice it to say that a pretty bottle is not a good way to choose a wine. As much as I like the idea of broadening my horizons, I really need to stick with the reds. At least until summer when I would appreciate the extra chill in my drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment