Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Crane Lake Sauvignon Blanc 2006 California

An embarrassingly cheap bottle of wine (can't you tell just by looking at it?), but hey, at least it's in a bottle instead of a box! Here is what the bottle told me I had to look forward to: "Gooseberry, grapefruit and pear flavors. Beautifully balanced, clean and crisp, smooth acidity, medium (not too dry)."

I don't have the wine snob vocabulary to describe this wine in my own words, but I do know that I didn't especially like the flavor (when I tried to pick out different notes unfortunately all I could think of was urine), and I won't be buying this kind again. I did, of course, finish the bottle, because it's still wine, and I wouldn't let it go to waste! I even had some hope that perhaps I would enjoy it more the second time around (although my doubts outweighed my hope). Well, although I will admit that my second and third glass didn't seem to be as awful as the first, I theorize that this may be because, meanwhile, I forgot how good wine can be. Final verdict: Swill.

Now here is the question I have. I don't like Crane Lake's Sauvignon Blanc. Would I like a sauvignon blanc from a different vintner? Or do I write off all sauvignon blancs? I think sometime in the future I should try perhaps a slightly more expensive one before I make my final decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment