Monday, June 24, 2013

Flat Creek Estate Rosé 2012 Texas

Just over two years ago I had a lovely and memorable visit to a winery near Austin, Texas, called Flat Creek Estate. I've been meaning to write about their wines ever since, but it just hasn't happened.

UNTIL NOW!! 

You'll have to continue waiting an undetermined length of time to hear about the wines I tried two years ago, but I currently have the exciting opportunity to try a few new Flat Creek bottles. I'm going to draw out the suspense and not list the other wines here yet, but I will tell you that this very evening I found seven (SEVEN!!) different Flat Creek bottles on my doorstep, nestled all safe and snug in a tidy shipping box. I was all but giddy as I liberated them from their packaging, trying to decide where to start and wondering how quickly I could get some chilled.

My first question was answered by THIS on the label of the Rosé:

I know what Alice would
have done . . . same thing
I did!

My second question was answered by a bit of googling (and the answer was 20 minutes in the freezer).

So. You know I go for reds. Why did I choose something pinkish? Here's what sold me:
Strawberry, raspberry, and watermelon explode out of the glass, then follow through on the palate with intensity. The lively acidity helps extend the finish and reveal just a hint of pepper, lasting just long enough for the next sip.
Sounds so summery! So fruity! And I can't resist any wine that claims a hint of pepper.

With my rosé wine that I have been commanded to Drink Now after a twenty minute stint in the freezer, it's time to put it to the test. Of course, fond memories of Flat Creek predispose me to a favorable opinion of this wine, but I'm not going to be swayed by sentiment.

Ready?

The real thing is a very beautiful pinkish color that glows in the light. And I do smell berries. And the taste? Ah, it's heaven! Light and fresh and crisp, a slight sweetness--not too much, no depressing flashbacks of wine coolers here--and a peppery tang. Not something I would reach for in the dead of winter, but a perfect wine for warmer weather.


Score! Kathy likes Flat Creek Estate Rosé 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment