Sunday, May 16, 2010

St. James Winery Strawberry Wine from Missouri

Finally a new post. It's been a while, hasn't it! Well, here's my excuse. After cutting back to just a couple of glasses of wine each week to avoid the fatness, it took me a while to finish off several open bottles I had on hand. I downed the rest of the final bottle last night in conjunction with a re-stocking trip to the Party Factory. In keeping with my new resolution to compare apples to apples, I bought two different bottles of Malbec, which you will be hearing about in a future post. (I would have purchased three or four, but the store only had 4 kinds of Malbec available, and I've already tried two of them. Obviously I bought the other two).

Now for Something Different. Just out of curiosity, I bought me a bottle of Strawberry Wine. It's in a screwcap bottle and there's no year on it, if that tells you anything. If not, the photo ought to say it all. It looks just like a bottle of strawberry soda pop. It's a pretty, clear, pinkish red color, and doesn't have much of a smell to it at all. I'm not getting the "hint of almonds and the essence of violets." Not surprisingly (especially since right there on the bottle it's called "sweet wine") it is very, very sweet. The only thing that keeps it from being a wine cooler is the lack of bubbles. That doesn't mean I don't like it, though. It's just that, for me, it really doesn't belong in the "wine" category. It fits with Cherry Limeade Frosties and Fufu Berry Jones Soda (both of which I really enjoy, but neither of which I turn to when in search of wine).

Bottom line: fun stuff, but even with 11.5% alcohol it doesn't deserve to be called wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment