Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz 2006 South Australia

It took me a while to polish off the wines used for my taste test in my last post, but now I am fresh off a trip to the Party Factory and am in the midst of enjoying a glass of this Shiraz. I have tried Shiraz just two or three other times. I'm pretty sure the first time was at Old Chicago in Denver with the Finlaysons in November 2007, but of course I don't remember anything about the vintner or vintage; by now, I just remember the good times.

I'm calling this a good bottle but not a gotta-have-it or gotta-buy-it-again wine. The label claims it is "a rich, well-structured Shiraz that exhibits attractive plum, spice and pepper characters" and "good length of flavour." Too bad the bottle has a screwcap rather than a cork. I can't say that his affects the wine any, but it somehow adds to the experience to pull a cork when you open the bottle.

I'm not sure if it's my nose or the wine, but I can't smell much in my glass. It has a fresh green taste with a lingering bold spiciness--so much so, that after I swallow it almost prickles as if I'm holding Coke in my mouth. I'm pairing it with some dark chocolate (as usual) but this would be a great complement to a thick juicy steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment